An ‘Electric Drill’ is ‘Power Tool’ which is driven by an Electric Motor, also known as ‘Drill Machine.’ The Electric drill is basically used for drilling or boring the holes in materials, as it is fitted with a cutting tool; a drill bit in a chuck.
The Chuck that is fitted at the end of a drill machine is capable of holding various sizes of the drill bit inside it. In general, the bigger the chuck holding capacity, the larger the motor required. As the larger motor with a greater power decreases the speed or run a drill to give the greater torque or turning power needed in boring the holes in steel or masonry.
The tip end, and sometimes the edges of a cutting tool do the work of cutting into the working material. This may include chipping off thin ceramic tiles using twist or auger bits, grinding off small particles using oil drilling, crushing and removing pieces from the workpiece using SDS masonry drill, counter-boring, countersinking other drilling-related works.
Drill speed depends on the purpose for which it is designed, a drill can have a single speed, have two or three preset speeds, or it may have a variable speed function. The variable speed is required if using the driver bit to drive the screws; similarly, a reversing function allows the user to remove screws as well.
The some of the types of Electric Drills are
1. Hand drill.
2. Electric Rotary drill.
3. Electric Hammer drill.
4. Right-angle drill.
5. Drill Press.
The Features Of Electric Drill
1. Variable speed for different bits.
2. Clutch for adjusting the torque.
3. Forward as well Reversible motion.
4. Shank can hold various chuck size bits ¼ inch, 3/8 inch, and ½ inch.
5. Low-end drills have 9.6 volts, while high-end drills have 24 volts.
The Applications Of Electric Drill
1. Hand drills are used for screwing & fastening.
2. By carpenters to drill and fix the wooden parts.
3. To create a hole of different size in solid materials.
4. Pistol-grip drill is used in common masonry works by builders, electricians, and plumbers.
5. Used for other tasks such as screw-driving, sanding, mixing paint & grinding.