A ‘Flange Nut’ is a kind of ‘Fastener Nut’ that has a plate-like structure or a wide flange at one end & acts as a conjoint washer. This helps to distribute the pressure of the nut while securing the part, preventing the chance of damage to the part and stopping it from loosening when subjected to the rough surface.
The Flange nut is designed for special uses in assemblies where over fastening and vibrations could damage fastener and the part. These wide flange nuts have small serrations which hold with great friction or give a locking action. The nuts are commonly in a hexagonal shape that are made up of hardened steel and coated with Zinc.
Flange nuts are often provided with a swivel flange which helps in making an extra stability without affecting the product or material surface like a serrated flange nut. Swivel flange nuts are commonly used in joining plastic items or wooden pieces. In some cases both sides of the nut are serrated, allowing to get locked on either side.
The Features are
1. Needs heavy force to loosen it than to tighten a flange nut.
2. Flange base distributes pressure evenly without damaging the product.
3. This nut acts as a conjoint washer.
4. The serrations on the nut prevent vibration & loosening.
5. Steel & zinc plated is a common material and finishing helps in preventing corrosion.
The Applications are
1. Assembling machinery parts.
2. Used in plumbing applications.
3. Some household appliances.
4. Used for joining metal parts or sheets.
5. Heavy industrial applications.